/**/

Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina | My feelings

I don’t really like commenting news. I think journalists do it very well. I had nothing to say about Katrina.
At the beginning of this cataclysm, I didn’t bother a lot about those people. I was confident because the USA are the biggest and the wealthiest in this world.
Day after day, for one week now, I am being used to see these astonishing pictures. Not because an entire state is flooded but because people are left on their own. Most of them are black people. A lot of black people who were longing for help. It makes me think of some old pictures taken from Ethiopia, Rwanda – during the war – or from another else African country. We are really far away from these successful kings (or queens) of the R&B…
Suddenly, it came to me. The Dawn of the Dead. I saw this movie 2 or 3 months ago. The survivors are condemned to stay on their town. Military forces are spread all over the city to tight it under control. Once again, real chaos happens to overtake the fiction.
Stores are plundered. But what else to do since you have no food, no money, and no fuel? I’m not saying that pillage is the right thing to do but it often happens during crisis.
I remember that, few days after the 09/11, a big show was held in the memory of these dead people. Now, I’m waiting for such expression of solidarity. Almost 500,000 lives must be deported to other cities. All of them have lost everything. New-Orleans is on the way to be definitely erased from the map.
I used to believe in the American dream. Now, I’d like to say: “Look! This is America! They also host impoverished ones! They also have mess!”
Tomorrow, I’ll spend some money if I am asked to help…

2 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Vaomiera said...

J'ai de plus en plus l'impression qu'en plus d'acheter les biens materiels, la richesse est synonyme de surete et de securite. Les plus pauvres d'entre nous sont voues aux mains des calamites en tout genre (cyclones, crash aerien, guerre, tsunami, drogue...)

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger mai said...

in my case, im not really that shocked by the hurricane and the damages it left there in US i mean, its just natural and our country have had worst than that. what distracts me the most is that after their country gained this "you can't beat us" and "we are untouchable" images (no offense meant to US but they shouldn't blame people who have that image of their country)... their government also acts slow that is in terms of helping the victims.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home